Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The weather is looking good for the first couple days of the journey. If it gets bad, I could fall behind schedule. I have a couple weeks to complete this journey before my wife and I go back to work and daily routines. Unfavourable weather could compromise the tight schedule that I have planned. If all goes well, I should arrive at the Potomac River on Sunday, May 3. If it doesn't go well, I will try to get as close as possible.

I am all packed up and ready to begin. The canoe is ready to be dropped into the Shenandoah River. I would like to thank Josh Warner at Blue Ridge Mountain Sports in Warrenton (www.brmsstore.com) for helping me with the canoe and accessories. With my camping and hiking gear, Steve and Gayle Shaffer at the Blue Canoe Crew (www.bluecanoecrew.com) store in Woodstock helped get me prepared for the journey. These people and businesses enjoy the outdoors and are dedicated in trying to preserve nature for us and generations to come.

I have some last minute grocery shopping to do for the final preparations of the journey. One more trip to the store should make it all complete.

I plan on being at the top of the mountain when the sun rises on Friday for some photos before I start hiking. With a little luck and the right weather conditions, the sunrise could be a spectacular show. We will see.

1 comment:

  1. Andy - April 15 - 2:45PM ET - may your paddling be powerful and filled with the pulchritude of nature's bounty. Best that you capture it now, so you can share the wonder that remains, while also presenting first-hand information on the harm that "humane treatment" does to the environment.

    ReplyDelete