Sunday, April 19, 2009

Day Three - From Criders and Bergton to the Fulks Run area of Brocks Gap



I got up before dawn to see what the sunrise would be and saw an overcast sky. The sun will rise but I won't be able to see it. We have some breakfast and pack up. As we are the days journey, I soon discover that the spaghetti dinner I had promised my daughter and wife was to be held today for lunch, Sunday. By that time, we will have moved on down the road.



However, my daughter did get her spaghetti dinner. They say around here that when you pass through Brocks Gap you are going "out the way". Saturday night, I took my family "out the way" to Timberville for spaghetti. Dinner ended and a happy child and wife dropped us off at base camp for the third night of camping.


Along the trek on the third day, we see little white flowers called bloodroot, one of the first forest flowers to appear. We find our way to the Bergton store to buy some snacks. Just beyond the store, the German River and Crab Run converge to become the North Fork.

Our next stop is Blue Hole, the name of a place along the North Fork. I get the cameras out for some photos and then take a break. There is some trash around the area and we pick up what we can as we have been doing all along the way. I encourage everyone to try and leave a place better than the way you found it. I think there will always be people who just don't care. The bright side is anyone can make a difference.

The hiking continued into the Fulks Run area until we reached our destination. We will begin the canoeing part of this journey tomorrow, Monday. The weather looks like it will be raining the next two days. If one goes on the river, one must expect to get wet either from below or from above. There won't be many photos because of rain.

Tomorrow we will be canoeing "out the way", rain or shine.


No comments:

Post a Comment