Saturday, April 25, 2009

This insert was completed by Nina Thayer, so just know that I might make a few mistakes or have more add libs that my husband doesn't approve of, ha-ha!!

After the wonderfully cold night on the Hovatter farm, Rob (Andy's oldest brother) and Andy headed down the river leaving Carmen, John, and me (Nina) to break down camp. The "night log" made it through the night so we had enough firewood to have a morning fire. John and Carmen did some fishing while we waited for the tent to dry and then loaded up gear and headed home.

The next stop was at the Inn at Narrow Passage, which is a bed and breakfast lovely inn. The owners, Ellen and Ed Markel (1-800-459-8002) gave Andy and John a FREE room! That was very nice of them and helped us out tremendously. Ed had breakfast waiting for them and there was a crackling fire in the fire place. They had grapefruit and "pain-par-dous," which means French Toast to ya'll non-Cajuns. Andy made some really nice pictures of the breakfast set up and the boys standing in front of the fire. Apparently, John got Mr. Ed all fired up talking politics. You know the Politzs', always causing trouble (myself included)!!!

After having a wonderful breakfast and a good night sleep at the Inn at Narrow Passage, John and Andy got a late start and we also had car issues, so Carmen stayed with Uncle John and he taught her how to cast with her fishing pole. The plan was for Carmen and Uncle John to fish that night, but they rolled in right at dusk, so she didn't get to fish.

I set up camp for the boys at Stonewall Mill. This is a private piece of property next to the river owned by Mr. Frank Cihlar. He gave Andy permission to camp on his property. Mr. Frank has done a beautiful job preserving the mill and making it a beautiful place to see. I set up camp by myself because Nancy Thayer (grandmother a/k/a "Tutu") watched Carmen at the house while I did the manual labor and then she brought her to me on the river to wait for the boys to make it to camp. I lit the lanterns and placed them as close to the river that I could. Right before dusk I saw Uncle John's head lamp coming down the river. I was happy to see that the boys made it before it got too dark to see. They barely got wet, but did have to carry the boat and equipment around three different obstacles in the river. Andy will have to give you more information on that.

The boys were gone when Mrs. Jackie Sager dropped me off at the campsite...still having car issues, but not anymore thanks to Ms. Jackie!! The boys had a wonderful night sleep last night on Mr. Frank's property. He showed up this morning and I got to meet him and his wonderful family while I was tearing down the tent. (I got my first war wound by busting my knuckle. I've broken several nails, but those don't count.) Mr. Frank is a very nice man with a beautiful home and was happy to allow Andy to camp on his property and told me that he wished that he could do the journey with Andy.

Everyone that we have met so far along the way has been so nice and helpful. I hope the journey continues along those lines.

I think that tonight Andy, John, Carmen and I will be having dinner with the "Friends of the North Fork." I don't know the details, but I'm sure I will be filling ya'll in when I get back in this evening or tomorrow morning. Have a wonderful day everyone. It's a beautiful day to be on the river and keep those boys in your prayers so that they can stay safe, but most importantly have a wonderful time. I know that Andy is having the time of his life and John is enjoying himself now that the rain has stopped!

More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment