Thursday, April 23, 2009

Day 7 Mt. Jackson to Woodstock

Today, my brother has joined me for the day. John needed a break after three days of rain, high waters and big rapids. After those conditions, he deserves a break for helping me get through all that. Rob Thayer will be stepping in the canoe today. During the morning, there were some clouds which always makes the light more interesting. There were some strong winds on the river that blew us around a bit. By afternoon, it was all sun. So the animals were out.

Saw ospreys on many occasions. Great Blue Herons, kingfishers, green herons and turtles. Yesterday, I saw a bald eagle soaring far above us. The next few days look sunny so I will get more chances to photograph the wildlife.

One note on the day 6 journey. John and I came upon a rapid that was the most difficult for the day. Between Timberville and New Market is a falls called Plains Mill Falls. It occurs right after a sharp left bend. Leaving little time to pick your course. We picked the correct course but took on lots of water from the waves. So a quick pull over after the rapid for some bailing was required.

Today's only big rapid was after passing Red Banks called the ledges falls as there are a few ledges that drop for a total of about five feet. Rob and I choose our line and had to make a quick left turn to avoid a rock at the bottom of the last ledge. I was here last summer and the water level was so low that floating through was impossible. I thought that with the right amount of water would make this a good rapid. I was right.

Tonight, we won't be needing the tent. Ellen and Ed Markel are hosting us at their bed and breakfast next to the Shenandoah River near Woodstock. www.innatnarrowpassage.com I am looking forward to their breakfast and know that it will be a great start to the next of my journey down the Shenandoah River.

One last note about the night in Mt. Jackson. I talked my wife and daughter to camp with us. They did and Carmen got her smores.

No comments:

Post a Comment