Saturday, April 18, 2009

Day one and Day Two of the Journey

This Post was completed by Nina Thayer (Andrew's wife) because he is hiking and has not access to email or even cell phone coverage, but these are Andrew's notes:

Day One:

The day started before sunrise. The temperature was just above freezing with some wind. The sun rose to a cloudless sky, so not the best photo opportunity. From our vantage point, the peaked mountains off the Massanuttan Mountains is in the distance with the Blue Ridge Mountains beyond. We hiked to the spring, filled up some water bottles and get some to drink. After some photos were taken, I look around and find a deet path and begin the decent through the mountain laurel that is not yet in bloom. After some time, John Politz and I begin to enter the dying forest of the hemlocks. There is a nasty parasite that is slowly killing these beautiful trees and soon they will all be gone. As we head down the mountain ther are many streams that feed into the German River making it much bigger the father we walk. It was becoming more difficult to crossthe stream or river. We may soon end up with wet feet, but that's all part of the journey.

We reach the bottom and arrive at our campsite by late afternoon. It was another cold night, but at least this campsite has dry wood for a roaring campfire. All in all it was an excellent day.

Day 2:

The sun may rise at 6:30am, but in the narrow hollow or "holler" as the locals say, the sun didn't shine until long after sunrise (around 9:30am). We started hiking and with each mile the valley floor begins to widen into the farmland community of Criders. We stop at the Crider's Store for some lunch and to visit with the locals. The owner, Sue Siever serves John and I two good "healthy" cheeseburger with french fries.

The hike continues until we reach our next campsite. Nearby was a little waterfall that drops into the German river. We stop for some photos.

We are meeting my wife, Nina Thayer and my daughter Carmen at the campsite to resupply and deliver the camping equipment. I had heard that the locals were having a spagetti dinner tonight and was looking forward to joining them, but I guess the fundraiser was cancelled. There were no cars and no sign of any people which lead me to believe that there would be no spagetti dinner, so we hoped in the van and drove to Broadway or "down the way" as the locals say and had pizza at a local resturant while Carmen had spagetti with her sauce on the side. Carmen had her heart set on having spagetti for dinner and I didn't let her down. After eating dinner and picking up a few odds and ends at the local Food Lion, we headed back to the campsite to end another spectacular day on my two week journey.

I'll have more to say tomorrow. (I'm sure Andy will have something to say about the little add libs that I put in, Ha-ha). I do have one note that my wonderful husband is too nice to mention, but I can't let this pass. No, maybe I'll leave ya'll in suspence and let Andy tell the story of Bud Waddell's eventful day carrying the camping equipment from the top of the mountain to the second camp sight!! Make sure you ask so he'll be forced to tell! Funny story and all part of the trip!

Thanks to all of ya'll interested in this journey and there will be more updates to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment